Education Diplomacy Online Course
Information about the next course will be available soon
Due in part to shifts in global governance mechanisms, there has been a greater diversification of actors in the areas of education and development who are influencing international policy, funding structures, and the proliferation of initiatives. It has also been recognized that universal education goals cannot be achieved without the creation of innovative systems and partnerships. The practice of Education Diplomacy – processes that use negotiation and other diplomatic skills to cultivate trust and achieve mutual benefits toward context specific education goals – has, therefore, become more important than ever.
The Association for Childhood Education International, in collaboration with DiploFoundation, has developed Education Diplomacy online courses that explore the concept in depth and considers its practical relevance for a broad impact on education. Course participants learn to effectively advance education as a bridge that promotes peace, prosperity, and sustainability.
Areas covered in Education Diplomacy courses include:
● Education Diplomacy as new diplomacy
● Foundations for Education Diplomacy
● State and non-state actors in Education Diplomacy
● International legal and policy instruments
● Elements of transformation in Education Diplomacy
● Requisites for diplomatic interactions
● The future of Education Diplomacy
Participants who successfully complete the course will earn a post-graduate level certificate issued by ACEI and DiploFoundation.
+ Participant Profile
Anyone who seeks to engage more deeply in their work through systemic, interdisciplinary knowledge and a greater understanding of diplomatic skills and processes may take the course. Course content will be particularly targeted to:
● Diplomats responsible for educational exchange as part of a cultural diplomacy portfolio (i.e., cultural attachés)
● Officials from Ministries of Education or other ministries whose work touches on international education issues
● Educators interested in learning about international issues in education and the workings of diplomacy as it relates to education
● Staff of international organizations and NGOs (UNESCO, UNICEF), civil society, and the private sector working on or interested in international education issues
● Graduate students interested in comparative and international education, international education policy and development, international affairs with a focus on education, international development, human rights
Prerequisites for Participation:
Minimum requirement: undergraduate university degree
Recommended requirement: at least two years experience working in a relevant field with a strong interest in international education issues
+ Course Learning Objectives
● Explain the concept of education diplomacy, with reference to both traditional and new understandings of diplomacy
● Explain how their own field of activity fits into the wider definition and contributes to education diplomacy
● Describe the forums where education diplomacy takes place
● Identify and describe the main state and non-state actors in education diplomacy and their role
● Recognize the increasingly diverse stakeholders and partnerships involved in education and their implications for the sector
● Identify and describe international policy instruments in the field of education
● Describe the importance of education diplomacy as a contributor to development and the place of education in the sustainable development goals
● Case studies will serve as supplementary reading
● Use the skills of education diplomacy to advance the global agenda and international cooperation
● Collaborate effectively online
Apply your certificate toward a Diploma in Social Innovation
The Center for Education Diplomacy and UPEACE Centre for Executive Education have partnered to provide innovative pathways to individuals for greater social impact. Participants who successfully complete the online Education Diplomacy course can now apply their certificate toward a Diploma in Social Innovation through the UPEACE Centre for Executive Education.
● Education Diplomacy will be accepted as 1 of 5 online elective courses necessary to complete the UPEACE diploma.
● Education Diplomacy certificate students receive a reduced fee for Diploma in Social Innovation coursework.
● Students may enroll in Diploma in Social Innovation courses at the same time they undertake the Education Diplomacy course.
● Students who successfully complete the Diploma in Social Innovation receive a diploma, which shall bear the logo of the UPEACE Centre for Executive Education and the United Nations University for Peace, as well as the logo of ACEI’s Center for Education Diplomacy.